- In New Orleans after Hurricane Katrina, women of color activists formed the New Orleans Women’s Health Clinic, a local clinic that received no state or federal money during its existence. It provides a powerful model of self-organized health care. Here are two radio stories that describe the work.
- Sonoran Prevention Works: “We provide direct service to people who use drugs and their families by facilitating free trainings and by distributing risk reduction materials and condoms to prevent the transmission of blood-borne pathogens. We advocate for widespread Naloxone accessibility, a 911 Good Samaritan bill, and syringe decriminalization in Arizona. We do this all in solidarity with the individual’s autonomy and right to self-actualization.”
- Trans Buddy Program, Nashville, TN : Provides trained peer advocates to accompany trans people to any medical appointment.
- The Iowa Harm Reduction Coalition “provide[s] safer injection supplies, opioid overdose prevention supplies, and reproductive health supplies including emergency contraception/condoms/pregnancy tests. Some case management for folks + peer to peer street based model.”
- Ujima Medics is a black collective of healers who teach health/emergency response skills like responding to gunshot wounds.
- Jane was an underground feminist abortion provider that operated from 1969-1973, providing over 11,000 abortions when it abortion was illegal in the United States. Here is a movie that was made about Jane. Here is a book about Jane.
- Beautiful Solutions is a useful site collecting stories, solutions and theories for transformative change. Their health entries include this page about Thessaloniki’s Social Solidarity Clinic, a volunteer-run clinic that emerged in Greece’s economic crisis and provides health care to hundreds of thousands of people since the public health system of the country was dismantled.
- This manual is designed to outline the process of developing and managing an Overdose Prevention and Education Program, with or without a take-home naloxone component.
- Here is a manual for starting and managing needle and syringe exchange programs.